|CHERBOURG ABORIGINAL SHIRE COUNCIL | 22 Barambah Avenue Cherbourg Qld 4605 | Telephone 07-4168 1866||Powered by BearNet Digital Technologies|
The history of Cherbourg is one of Aboriginal people being forcibly removed and brought from all over Queensland and Northern New South Wales to a newly formed government reserve. Under the Aborigines Protection Act of 1897 the settlement then called Barambah, was gazetted and established in 1904. In 1932, the name Barambah was then changed to Cherbourg due to a nearby property called "Barambah Station" which caused confusion in mail delivery.
Located 375km north west of Brisbane, Cherbourg covers 3,130 hectares DOGIT land and is within Wakka Wakka tribal boundaries and bordering onto Gubbi Gubbi (Kabi Kabi) territory to the east. The population is approximately 2000, however, as a result of the relocation of indigenous people under past government policies, residents of Cherbourg have connections to many other tribal groups throughout Queensland.
Since the mid to late 1960's, Cherbourg has always had an elected Aboriginal Council. But it was until the late 1980's, where changes took place and Cherbourg had developed from being a welfare institution to a community. With the initiation of the Deed Of Grant In Trust (DOGIT), legislation was passed in 1982 and 1984 and Cherbourg started managing its own affairs.
In 2004, Cherbourg performed its first 100 years Centenary Celebration, which turned out to be a huge success & a very well-organised event.